Friday, February 22, 2008

Meet the Honest Hobo

A couple of friends and I were going to eat Chinese (food), there were so many of us we decided to car pool. I tagged along with a friend who was leaving town for a couple of months the day after, before we got in the car we noticed that one of the tires was a bit low, we got in the car and before we could make it to the gas station, the tire just went completely flat on us. Friend didn’t have a spare, so he called his brother and told him to bring one and the things needed to change the tire.

I’m so lucky I don’t have to deal with things like that, I mean… I know nothing about cars, I was pretty sure I’d die before I could change a tire, now I don’t think it’s complicated, with the right equipment.

We were waiting when this happened: (I did my best remembering the exact conversation)

Honest Hobo: *approaches us* Excuse me, can I talk to you for a minute? Please don’t laugh; I have something to ask you guys.

Us: …okay?

H. H.: Well, first of all let me tell you that I have cancer, this is not a sob-story and I don’t want you to think I’m lying to get some scam money. I’m being honest and I’m telling you this, I’m going to use the money to buy crack. I’m being honest, I don’t do it to get high and forget, I do it because it eases my pain. All I need for now is 2 dollars, could you please help me?

Friend: I got to admit it; you are really being honest about what you are gonna do with the money, so… here you go. *hands him 1 dollar*

H. H.: Thank you, man. I appreciate it. You know what hurts the most? My feet, they are killing me. *leaves*

BTW, took us (and by us I mean my friend) one hour to change the tire.

No comments: